Paging doctor Artuso…

Posted on September 18, 2008


I finally had my doctors appointment regarding the stress/no sleep problem I was having.  I was given Naproxen (the equivalent to aleeve) for my arthritis in my neck and Ambien for sleep.  They also made me get some blood work done to check thyroid and cholesterol and other assorted things.  Now keep in mind I am approx. 107 lbs and I hate needles.  I walked into the lab to get the blood work done and was okay when we started.  She shoved the silver needle into my arm and it stung like always.  Because of the amount of tests they wanted to run they needed 3 rather large tubes of blood so i was sitting there trying not to look at the needle and trying to stay conscious.  The nurse asked me if I was okay because I guess I was turning a nice pale color.  Finally the 3rd tube was done and I was able to go.  I walked across the hall to get my prescriptions and within 30 minutes I was on my way home. 

That evening at around 7pm I took my first Naproxen after I ate my dinner.  The bottle said it may cause dizziness so i made sure to keep an eye on that.  Then around 9pm I took the Ambien to help me sleep, OR SO I THOUGH!!  I did not get much sleep at all.  I was up every hour looking at my clock.  11, 12, 1, 2… finally my alarm goes off at 5:45am.  I stand up and have this HORRIBLE pain in my stomach.  It was indescribable.  It was like someone was ripping my insides out.  At times it felt like the pain you have when you have heartburn or gas.. but this wasn’t the problem.  I went to work and dealt with the pain like a big girl.  By the time I got home, I wasn’t about to take it anymore.  I called the nurse and she told me to stop taking the naproxen and if it helped to then only take half a pill the next night. 

Well here its Thursday.  I didn’t take any of the Naproxen or Ambien last night and I slept OK but not great.  I actually woke up at 4am with sharp pains in the right side/abdomen that made me toss and turn.  I got up and walked around for a bit and it did stop and I was able to get to sleep for another hour before the alarm went off.  I’m still having these pains in my right lower side and will be calling the doctor in a few minutes to see what the hell is wrong!  I will keep you all posted.

Posted in: Medical